Sunday, July 17, 2011

Independence Day!





This year was our first Fourth of July in Philadelphia. We spent the morning with Nate's family before they flew back to UT. And then in the afternoon we wandered over to the art museum where all the magic was happening. I was super excited because online it described all the delicious food vendors that they were going to have there :). You see, I have been missing "fair food" ever since I left Idaho to go to BYU. I don't think I have been to the Eastern Idaho State Fair, or EISF as we call it, since I was a senior in high school. Consequently, whenever I get a chance to eat fair like food I get pretty excited. Nate and I got a funnel cake and it was seriously sooooo delicious. Mmmm I could go for one of those right now.Camille and I

Besides all of the food vendors, there was also a stage set up for the musical performers and then about a bajillion enthused Philadelphians. We saw The Roots, Sara Barielles, Estelle, and Boys II Men preform. I was actually quite impressed with Sara. She belted it out and played the piano like nobodies business. Boys II Men was probably my favorite though. So many wonderful middle school dance classics. It was always a little awkward when they played "I'll Make Love to You" though ;).see there really were bajillions...

After all of the musical performances they started the firework show. It was really good! I was suprised, since I have pretty high firework standards. They had all these fireworks that were on the ground in front of the art museum and it kind of looked like the fountains at the Bellagio in Las Vegas. I wanted to take pictures but I didn't want to miss any of it. My one gripe with the firework show was that it was put to music and not a single song was patriotic. Maybe it is just me, but Lady Gaga and Britney don't really get me in a "I am so proud to be an American" kind of mood. Oh and I totally called that "Firework" by Katy Perry was going to be the grand finale song. Soooo predictable. I am sure it made an appearance at almost every firework show this year.

But it wasn't just the firework show, the entire evening had absolutely no patriotic tones or messages. I found it very sad and disappointing. I mean we were in the very city where the declaration was drafted and yet no mention of liberty, independence, all of the brave people that have sacrificed for our freedom? Nope not a word. I felt like the City thought that it would be "uncool" or that the masses in attendance would think it was lame. I have been thinking about writing a strongly worded letter to Mayor Nutter about it. We'll see if I actually get around to that.

The whole thing kind of made me miss the West, where people are proud to be American's and aren't ashamed to blast their country songs that talk all about it. I don't ever want to take this country and my freedom for granted. America is such a blessed place, and I am grateful and proud to live here.

Overall the night was pretty fun but the lack of patriotism and all of the smokers made it much less enjoyable. About every third person was sucking on a cig. In fact I don't think we will go back next year due to that fact alone. My airways were seriously burning for the next 2 days. This also made me miss Idaho and Utah where you can gather a huge crowd of people together and not very many of them will be smoking. Awww fresh air....I took you for granted.

2 comments:

  1. First, you outfit looks really cute all patriotic and all! Where did you get that again!?

    Second, I am really disappointed to here that the show was not patriotic in Philadelphia of all places, it makes me sad...but the did not play Katy Perry and the wee wee weber show so I am happy about that.

    Third, write that letter! Stand up for something bigger than keeping the fourth on the fourth! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too think that a letter should be penned. If nobody brings it to the attention of public officials nothing will ever change. Sounds like it wasn't not a total waste. We did have fun at the good ole North Ogden fireworks though, and got to witness my first flash mob!

    ReplyDelete